Have any suggestions for the 3 Count? Let me know via Twitter @plagiarismtoday.
First off today, Brian Gallagher at MovieWeb reports that, when San Diego Comic-Con starts in a week, it may be testing some new anti-piracy technology that it hopes will curb leaks of movies and clips intended just for those in attendance.
The news comes from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn, who will be debuting footage from the film at Comic-Con. However, on Facebook he said that the video will be “less likely” to leak online due to new technology that the conference is experimenting with.
The announcement comes after 20th Century Fox pulled out of Comic-Con this year over piracy concerns. This was likely in response to footage from Fox’s films Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse leaking online shortly after presentations at Comic-Con last year. In response to this, it seems likely that Comic-Con is working on ways to reduce the piracy risk and further encourage more exclusive screenings. However, Comic-Con itself has not made an official announcement.
Next up today, John Eggerton at Broadcast & Cable reports that the Federal Communication Commission’s set-top box proposal faced scrutiny at a hearing on Tuesday before the House Communications Subcommittee. At that hearing, two Representatives said that they had spoken with the Copyright Office and that the office had voiced concerns about the proposal.
The proposal would allow consumers to purchase their own set top boxes by requiring cable and satellite companies to ensure their service would be compatible with third-party boxes. The move is highly controversial over fears it could lead to increased piracy. Proponents, however, say the proposal will hurt innovation and increase competition in the set top box industry.
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler sat down with the House Communications Subcommittee to answer questions about the plan and most of the representatives were deeply skeptical of the proposal. Two of the Representatives said that they had spoken with the U.S. Copyright Office and it had expressed concern that would have a negative impact on the value of content, possibly hurting content creators. Everyone on the committee, save one, agreed that the plan was flawed and everyone agreed on the importance of protecting copyright.
Finally today, Emma Boyle at The Independent reports that Megaupload founder has announced via Twitter that he is preparing to re-launch his famous file-sharing site in 2017, some five years after it was originally shut down.
In January 2012, Megaupload was shuttered by a joint New Zealand and U.S. police action that also resulted in the arrest of Dotcom and many of his employees. Dotcom is currently facing extradition to the United States from his home in New Zealand, with one court already approving it.
Meanwhile, Dotcom already launched a site called Mega but he is no longer affiliated with it after a falling out with the new owners. More recently, he has actively been warning users away from using it. He said that he hopes Megaupload will have the same user accounts and largely the same service, just with expanded storage and the removal of transfer limits.
That’s it for the three count today. We will be back tomorrow with three more copyright links. If you have a link that you want to suggest a link for the column or have any proposals to make it better. Feel free to leave a comment or send me an email. I hope to hear from you.