Plagium: A Copyscape Alternative

plagium-logo

When it comes to tracking content across the Web, Copyscape is, for the most part, the brand name to know.

This reputation has been very well earned. They recently took top honors in a round of plagiarism checker testing services, which put them against several much more expensive services.

However, competitors have begun to emerge. Some, such as FairShare offer more features and more free results and others, such as CopyGator, offer great convenience. Despite this, especially for static content, Copyscape has remained the gold standard.

But a new service hopes to provide a new challenge. Plagium, a copy detection system by Septet Systems, provides a very similar service to Copyscape but adds additional free features and uses Yahoo! rather than Google to perform its searches.

The question is how does it stack up and, to measure that, I put the service through a battery of tests, using my well-copied and plagiarized literary works as the measuring stick.

About Plagium

The comparisons between Plagium and Copyscape are obvious, however, the default interface of Plagium is not to provide a URL to be checked, as with Copyscape, but a textbox to paste your text. Though this is less convenient, it actually, in my experience, provides better results as the plagiarism checker is only examining the content, not the surrounding text (navigation, footer, etc.).

However, if you prefer the convenience of just providing the URL, you can click the “Check URL” link and get a more Copyscape-like interface.

Plagium’s results add an interesting new feature called the “Timeline”, which shows roughly when the various reuses went online. This lets you prioritize your actions based upon either the most recent or the least current matches. However, as neat as the feature is, it can get cluttered on works that have a lot of copies and it isn’t exactly clear in the beginning what all of the elements mean, especially the sizes of the bubbles.

timeline-2

However, the most powerful feature of Plagium is its alert system. If you register for a free account, you can have the service track your text and alert you in a weekly email to any new copies it finds. You can also subscribe to an RSS feed of the results.

With this feature, Plagirum becomes something of a FairShare targeted at static content. Where FairShare requires an RSS feed to parse (though there are hacks that can be used to get static content into the system), this can work on any text that can be pasted into the system.

What is amazing about this is that Copyscape only offers the URL search and ten results free. It’s paid accounts, five cents a search, allows users to paste text and receive unlimited results. They also provide a sentry service, which monitors 10 pages once a week for about $5 per month.

However, Plagium currently offers all of these features for free. A representative for the company said that they are providing it for free to “attract paying customers for custom information tracking system development work,” though the site does also accept donations.

But not much of this matters if the plagiarism detection isn’t up to code. So I decided to put the system to a quick test to see how it handles some of my most plagiarized works.

The Tests

For the purpose of this test I ran five of my works through both Plagium, Copyscape (using the text paste feature) and, as a baseline, I ran a statically improbably phrase from each work through Google.

In each case I looked and attempted to verify that at least most of the results were not false positives. However, it is possible that there are some non-matches or additional duplicates included within the mix.

The results of the tests are below:

Poem 1

The first poem was a 224-wrord poem that was known to be widely plagiarized.

Plagium Copyscape Google
34 29 351

The first test showed that Plagium found approximately 17% more matches than Copyscape. Copyscape, for example, did not find my own site though Plagium listed it first.The page is listed in Google.

Still, the Google results trumped both of the two very handily and provided a large amount of additional results. However, the actual number of results is far lower than the number provided as it appears many of the Google results were duplicates where the same page had multiple URLs.

Poem 2

The second poem is a 279 word poem also known to be heavily plagiarized.

Plagium Copyscape Google
21 9 201

In this test, Plagium outperformed Copyscape by over 100%. However, Plagium does suffer from some duplication issues. For example, my site has two pages listed with the work on it though, once again, it doesn’t appear at all in Copyscape. However, even with this, there are far more unique results in Plagium.

Google once again trumped both of them but the duplication in Google makes that only useful for baseline, not an exact number.

Story 1

For this test I used a 1550 word short story with very limited reuse.

Plagium Copyscape Google
5* 1 5*

(*)In this test all three essentially tied. The difference between the 5s by Plagium and Google was the four matches they found on my site. All three found the exact same reuse, which is a legitimate copy of the work on another site.

In this case, they all three performed the same.

Prose 1

For this test, I used a 785 word short story with a modest amount of known reuse.

Plagium Copyscape Google
6 10 41

In this case, Copyscape was the clear winner. Not only did Plagium return fewer results, but the six results were really just 2 as 4 results were from my site and the other 2 from the same forum. Copyscape, on the other hand, delivered 10 matches, at least 4 of which were unique.

Google’s results, on the other hand, contained 20-25 duplicates, making its number closer to the mid 20s.

Prose 2

For this test I used a 202 word prose piece with a moderate amount of known plagiarism.

Plagium Copyscape Google
4 1 26

In this case, Plagium found three unique matches, including my site, that were not in Copyscape. Google did find more matches than both, but once again there was a serious duplication issue. At least nine items in Google’s results were duplicates, meaning that the number is closer to 15-18 results.

Still, this was a clear case where Plagium found results that Copyscape missed.

Results

In all five tests, Google outperformed both Plagium and Copyscape. However, it contained a very high amount of duplicate results and the benefit was likely minimal. In the contest between Plagium and Copyscape, Plagium found more matches three of the times, Copyscape did better in one test and they tied in one.

It appeared to me that Copyscape was not producing the number of matches it once did. The second poem, for example, is the same one I used when comparing Copyscape to itself in 2007. In that testing, it first found no results, then ten results, then 31. With today’s test, it found 9 even though the actual number of copies has remained fairly flat.

Whether this is because Copyscape does not work as well with pasted text (the first tests were done with the URL function) or because changes have limited the results it is producing, it is clear that it is not as effective as it once was for finding all of the results for a work.

However, it is important to note that this is far from a comprehensive comparison of the two service. These are just five very limited cases. Everyone else’s mileage will vary.

Bottom Line

In the end Plagium’s results were very solid and it actually performed better than Copyscape in most tests. Whether this is a fluke or a sign of something greater, remains to be seen.

However, since Plagium is completely free, there’s no harm in trying it out and I actively encourage you to do so. You can also experiment with the alerts feature and see if it works well for your content (I haven’t seen any results yet in the few that I set up).

Though I’m not ready to recommend Plagium as the sole plagiarism checker one should use, I don’t think I’ll ever reach that point with any product, but it is a very solid addition pulling in some very competitive matching numbers.

If Plagium isn’t a part of your plagiarism detection toolbox, it should be. The results are solid from what I’ve seen, the features are very powerful and, best of all, it is completely free. You can’t ask for much more out of a plagiarism checker.

Personally, I’ll probably start relying more on Plagium for my static content and continue to use FairShare for items already within an RSS feed. This works well with the intentions and limitations of the two services.

32 Responses to Plagium: A Copyscape Alternative

1. Michael says:

I like Plagium, since it is free. But one of my tests returned many false hits:http://www.psonnets.org/psonnets/myheart.htmlWhen I pasted in the first few lines of this poem, which I chose at random for the test, I got back a lot of results where the only similarity was the first line with the result's page.I did the test again with the entire poem. I understand now. I should have used the whole poem instead of just five lines. (I am used to Googling small strings of text.) I see what the small and big bubbles mean now. The bigger the bubble, the more likely it is your text.

2. James Bruni says:

Great coverage for http://www.plagium.com/ the best plagiarism detector around

3. Yes, you should use the entire poem whenever possible. I ran through the work myself real fast and found only one match other than the source page, namely a PDF where it appears under your name.Thanks for the info on the bubbles, that had me very confused.Let me know how your other tests go!

4. I should have used the whole poem instead of just five lines.

5. Piroska says:

Considering the rampant plagiarism online, I'm glad there are more of these types of search tools.However, I still prefer the duo of me and Google. I tried several plagiarized poems that I had found the originals for, already…and neither Plagium or Copyscape found any matches. I DO like the Plagium does its search, though, and using Yahoo instead of Google. I will most likely use Plagium for those works that frustrate me, that I can't find any matches for doing it my way, and KNOWING the piece is plagiarized.I've also found that for prose, using Metacrawler often will find something that Google doesn't. Google doesn't seem to like long phrases.

6. I think the use of Google is always going to be the most effective means of detecting plagiarism, you just can't beat human intelligence in selecting keyphrases, but Plagium does provide a pretty compelling service nonetheless and I think you've got a good idea.I honestly hadn't thought of using Metacrawler though (I don't think I've been to that site in years) so I might have to test it out.

7. Your analysis of anti-plagiarism tools is very thorough. However, such tools work only when a work is copied more or less word for word. And it is so easy to steal someone's idea or research, merely change some words, turn the sentences around – and there you are. Still plagiarism, but will go undetected by both anti-plagiarism applications and search engines.

8. Not necessarily. I've seen studies done with the Turnitin system that say to avoid detection you have to change every third word. By the time you do that, you've lost all of the time and energy benefit of plagiarizing. You are right that this is a potential limitation. But the more work you require one to put into a plagiarism, the less appealing it becomes to do so.

9. [...] I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Don’t rely on any one search engine for your plagiarism detection. Both Yahoo! and Google found results the other missed. It is that simple. [...]

10. ed s says:

thanks for info and Im sure it will come in handy one day. Really dislike plagerizers

11. Macky says:

Its really good to have such software as there are lots of sites ready to steal your data.

12. saif fatteh says:

Dear Mr Bailey,I just came across your articles as we were researching plagiarism tools. Specifically we were looking at iplagiarismcheck but then saw your reviews and the discovery that they may be illegally using turnitin. We are an online course provider and contract with independent contractors who are experts in their domain which include real estate, insurance, mortage, etc. We have courses that are usually between 50-300 pages so we want to check for plagiarism against websites as well as proper books which is what made iplagiarismcheck appealing. Do you have any recommendations for plagiarism checking tools that are designed more for book publishing instead of websites or a recommendation of a review of various choices.Thanks in advance,Saif Fatteh

13. I might be able to help, if you can, drop me an email to jonathan at plagiarismtoday dot com with some more details, namely how often you need to do checks and your budget range, and I'll see what I can do. Hope that you are well!

14. alexnlr says:

I had never known of Plagium. Thanks I have been starving for an alternative to Copyscape.

15. alexnlr says:

16. alexnlr says:

17. [...] It may be a sign Plagium is better for this type of detection, especially with poetry. This mirrors my own results from when I first learned of the service.You Can’t Replace Intuition: Though technology can [...]

18. Gail says:

This is a long comment, but bear with me please- you will get a laugh i promise!

I performed a similar test for a site called applied-posture-riding.com as I was thinking of joining their ebook affiliate programme as my hobby is horses and riding.

I did a single sentence test first. Result: Copyscape 0, Plagium 2. I then did a url test. Result: Copyscape 5, Plagium 10 though 2 are the original site.

Interestingly, the Plagium url search found a site missed by Copyscape that had used an article spinner to change the text with hilarious results, for the single sentence I had tested for originally. Note: The following spun article changes are less than every 3rd word, yet Copyscape still missed this version.

ORIGINAL SENTENCE: I have been a highly successful competitor in eventing and dressage. I have competed successfully up to international level and was a member of the South Australian Olympic training squad.

SPUN SENTENCE: the Author has been an extremely successful challenger in eventing and dressage. The Author has contendd successfully up to external floor and was a penis of the South Australian Olympic grooming police squad.

The poor spelling was bad enough, as was changing competitor to challenger, international level to external floor and training to grooming… but I had to smile when i saw that the copier had spun the word “member” to ”penis”.

I doubt that the copier will sell many of these ebooks. I certainly would not buy it from them. Needless to say I will be using Plagium now and thank you very much for this very useful post. I’ll be back…

• Im the author of Applied Posture Riding (Annette Willson) I found this article too. I was insulted to say the least but have printed it for my own humour. I did a quick check just in case I know i dont have a penis, intersting spin. Feel free to use this example over and over re spun articles. I am proud to say all my content is original and unquie cheers http://www.applied-posrue-riding.com the orginiator of this comment

19. [...] to see how well it performed.How Plagium Deep Search WorksPreviously I talked about Plagium and compared it favorably to Copyscape and other, similar plagiarism checkers for the purpose of finding plagiarisms and other copies of [...]

20. David.S says:

plagium isnt as fast as copyscape, any recommendation for other alternatives?

21. rheaseo25 says:

maybe you got across this statement, copying one article is plagiarism but copying from many is research..LOL

22. 2mashaa says:

palgarism is the thing that is killing many of us but there is always a way out to it. YOU MUST BE CAREFULL TO CHECK YOUR ARTICLES IF THEY ARE WRITTEN FOR YOU

23. suresh says:

If any one make a copy of any article from any site than it will be easily caught.

Copyscape is best option yaar..these alternatives are not so good and fast as copyscape.

24. alexuvemail says:

Plagium limited you. You may only check limited number of characters, and after sending 2 papers it says, my monthly credit is spent……Grrr. Check http://www.plagiarism-detect.com it is slower, but more accurate and really free alternative

25. alexuvemail says:

Better to say <a href=”www.plagiarism-detect.com”>www.plagiarism-detect.com</a>

26. One Lucky Girl says:

I have tried Plagium when I read this post. It really works great! I found out immediately as to where is the plagiarized page coming from even if I do not have my own account. :)

27. Sasa says:

Copyscape has just reached its maximum per month. These are good alternatives.

28. [...] that had grown somewhat stagnant. The last service to launch that targeted this niche was Plagium, which opened in 2009 and saw its last major development in [...]

29. Colter says:

Thanks for this Jonathan, Much appreciated, Want to start as affiliate marketer and need to offer freebie for opt ins. Thinking of engaging a ghost writer to do ebook. Will this tool help to make sure I am paying for original work. ?