Blogwerx Stumbles Out The Gate

Last week Blogwerx Sentinel debuted at DEMO and opened its site up to the public for the first time. Though the launch created some initial positive buzz, including a very positive article by Robert Scoble, it was quickly tempered by a series of problems reported by other bloggers as they attempted to sign up for the service.

One blogger was worried about Blogwerx’s handling of passwords and bulk email. Another was concerned that Blogwerx would not actually be able to help stop spam bloggers. However, most were concerned with how incomplete the interface was, including being riddled with broken links and other problems that prevent the site from working .

While these are not uncommon problems for sites in beta, when Blogwerx announced their launch date they claimed to be releasing a completed product. That was clearly not the case.

Blogwerx has responded to these problems in their blog, saying that they didn’t have time to complete “some of the bells and whistle” and that it was a “hard question” as to whether or not they were where they wanted to be.

They also said that the registration is for the free version and that there is a two-week turnaround before you will receive an email to return and look at the results.

These are definitely fumbles and mistakes and are somewhat worrisome. However, Blogwerx does appear to be trying to turn things around. They have hired a new developer and have deployed a bug tracker to help deal with any problems.

More interesting, however, is that there still appears to be a great deal of positive buzz around the product, or at least the idea behind it. Clearly there is a great deal of interest in Sentinel, perhaps even more than previously thought.

What remains to be seen is whether or not Blogwerx will be able to overcome these initial mistakes and produce a useful, powerful and effective product that bloggers want to use for a long time to come.

If it can do that, it has a chance at becoming a very successful product that countless bloggers rely on. If not, there is competition and it may very well eat them alive.

It is going to be very interesting to see what happens next.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Blogwerx Stumbles Out The Gate

1. Everton says:

Scoble always tends to give positive reviews I think because he tends to write about stuff he likes.

thanks for the link though (your forum link above is broken btw)

2. JB says:

Thanks for the heads up! That one was my fault. When I moved hosts recently I used an outdated template. I closed the forums down some time ago as it was attracting too much spam.

I might give forums another shot some day though.

I have to agree with you about Scoble, that and he seems to find a lot of controversy every time he posts negative things. I guess we'll see what happens.

3. Tony Moura says:

Johnathan,

Thank you for the candid remarks. I'll be the first to admit that we had some issues coming right out of the gate. Some that were avoidable and some that weren't.

We've taken the steps to correct them as quickly as possible as you noted.

We've also listened to the community such as a comment by Shel Israel at Demo. His comment that he would need a way to automate a type of predefined filter. If this is found at x% then do this type of thing. Something we hadn't thought about. It makes sense for the bigger bloggers and is something we are looking into a next version upgrade.

Bringing on board Courtney our new developer will assist us in moving that much faster. The addition of the bug tracker will allow the community to let us know and track exactly where there are issues and need improvement.

We look forward to becoming a solution that bloggers big and small can come to rely on to protect their content.

4. Everton says:

thanks for the link though (your forum link above is broken btw)

5. JB says:

I might give forums another shot some day though.

I have to agree with you about Scoble, that and he seems to find a lot of controversy every time he posts negative things. I guess we’ll see what happens.

6. Dave Cross says:

That’s Robert Scoble – not Ron Scoble :-)

7. Tony Moura says:

Johnathan,

Thank you for the candid remarks. I’ll be the first to admit that we had some issues coming right out of the gate. Some that were avoidable and some that weren’t.

We’ve taken the steps to correct them as quickly as possible as you noted.

We’ve also listened to the community such as a comment by Shel Israel at Demo. His comment that he would need a way to automate a type of predefined filter. If this is found at x% then do this type of thing. Something we hadn’t thought about. It makes sense for the bigger bloggers and is something we are looking into a next version upgrade.

8. JB says:

David –

A quick reminder to everyone, spell check does not catch all mistake, like when you turn Rob into Ron. Thanks for the catch!

Tony –

I'm very excited to see how Blogwerx evolves, please keep me informed.

I hope that it works out well!

9. JB says:

David –

Tony –

I’m very excited to see how Blogwerx evolves, please keep me informed.

I hope that it works out well!

10. [...] Blogwerx is scheduled to re-launch some time in the coming months. This comes after the service stumbled after its first launch almost a year ago due to technical issues. Blogwerx has the potential to detect modified [...]